Thursday, February 24, 2011

Restaurant Review: We, The Pizza

Coming from a college town, and as a Chicago native, I'm used to being spoiled with a plethora of pizza joints, and often some pretty good ones. Now in DC, I'm in a bit of withdrawal. I've been here for over a month and have found only one pizza place, and tonight I ate there for the first time.

We, The Pizza is located on Pennsylvania only a few blocks from my apartment, making it very convenient. I had heard only great things from my friends in my building, who had already tried it. Personally, I wasn't that impressed.

Like I said, I'm from Chicago, so I'm a big deep dish fan. Personal favorite is Giordano's. So naturally when I saw a thicker looking pizza at We, The Pizza, that's what I went for. I ate a slice of their Sicilian Pie, a cast iron pie pizza with chunky tomato sauce, mozzarella and fresh basil. It was $5 for a very thick slice, and with a drink the total was $7.77. For me, that's a whole meal and a decent price for DC. It wasn't bad, but it was not my favorite. I honestly would prefer a generic brand, like Domino's or Papa John's. The ingredients were spaced very randomly on the pizza. A giant chunk of tomato here, a glob of basil there. Just overall it was not impressive. I'd like to try some of their other varieties though. Could have been just the slice I had, but my roommate didn't appear too impressed with her slice of sausage and peppers pizza either.

I like the name, cute, creative. All these DC restaurants do cute, patriotic puns. As a visitor here I'm a fan. The atmosphere though is kind of dry and dull. I was hoping for a little more excitement from the name.



The Facts:

Menu: We, The Pizza offers more than just pizza. They have pasta, salad, wings, subs and gelato. They also serve specialty sodas and beer.

Price: Pizzas aren't unreasonably priced, especially for DC. Slices range from $3-$5. Medium pies are $16 and large are $18.

Location: 305 Pennsylvania Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20003; closest metros are Capitol South or Eastern Market

Hours: 11:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, Closed Sunday

You can eat in, order to go, or do curbside pick-up

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment