Monday, March 7, 2011

Restaurant Review: Hard Times Cafe

Let me preface this review with one thing:


Before this weekend, I had never eaten chili before. Yes. I was a 21-year-old chili virgin. This isn't to say I never had the opportunity to eat chili. I did. I just HATE beans. I might even be a little bit afraid of them. The texture is just weird. So I avoided chili like the plague for fear that it might contain beans.

Now on to the review... this weekend I attended a dinner party at a classmate's house from the University of Missouri. On the menu: chili from Hard Times Cafe. I was a bit apprehensive about this dinner due to my aforementioned situation, but it turned out to be a delicious meal.

My friend got the chili to go from the restaurant's flagship location in Old Town Alexandria. They serve 4 types of chili; we had two: the sweeter, milder Cincinnati Chili and the spicy Terlingua Red. I stuck to the Cincinnati to be safe. It was delicious. It had a bit of kick, maybe a bit too much of a kick for me, and was full of meat and flavor. It was still definitely something I would eat again.

The Facts:

Menu: Hard Times is famous for the chili and chili mac (chili over spaghetti with your choice of cheese, onions and/or beans). They also serve wings with a variety of chili sauces, burgers and sliders, sandwiches, salads and other dinners. A very American menu.

Price: Prices are not bad here. A bowl of chili costs anywhere from $6.89-8.89.

Location: Their flagship location, established in 1980, is in Old Town Alexandria, but there are several other locations throughout Maryland, DC and Virginia

Hours: (Old Town Alexandria) Sun.-Thurs. 11a.m.-11p.m.; Fri., Sat. 11a.m.-midnight

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment