Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 1

Today was the first official day of my work with the Daily Herald.

Assignment number one: meet the men and women who represent the northwest suburbs of Chicago in our nation's capitol (a.k.a. Representatives and Senators).

Just oneeeeeeeeeee problem... today was the March for Life.

I made my way to the House and Senate office buildings on capitol hill, excited to greet the congressmen and women I would be covering for the next few months. Instead, I was greeted with thousands of protestors. They were everywhere. They were young and old... every age from elementary school to retirement home, and an especially large amount of high school and college-aged. They carried picket signs, posters, balloons... I even heard drums somewhere in the distance. But most importantly, they were blocking almost every entrance to the capitol office buildings.

I was able to beat the crowd to one building and make contact with the two women who represent my readership. But the six men on my list played hard to get.

So lessoned learned... when thousands of impassioned Americans wielding "Abortion Kills" signs storm capitol hill in below-freezing weather, your plans might just get thrown for a loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment