Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 2: taking on the hill... again

Today I attempted to take on a second visit to capitol hill. The abortion protesters had cleared and I was free to trounce in uninhibited to the Cannon House Office Building. Well, security was there of course. Also, Katie Couric.... or at least I think it was Katie Couric. She was heading out as I was heading in so it was hard to tell... but she is here in DC, so I'm going to assume it was her.

The next person I saw in the building, a bit on the opposite end of the spectrum from Katie Couric, was a middle-aged man, wearing much too tight skinny jeans, a cowboy hat and a t-shirt that read "Cops want to legalize pot." Safe to say, I'm running into some interesting people so far in DC.

I spent the rest of my morning stopping by representatives' offices, meeting people, press secretaries and even one representative himself, Randy Hultgren (R - Ill.). Now, according to this article on the Huffington Post (which was pointed out to me by my roommate, Kate), Washington DC is one of the rudest cities in America. I found the exact opposite to be true today. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, from the representatives and their staff, to the cowboy pot cop, to the security guard who complimented me on my shoes. I've only been on the ground a couple days, but so far DC is a very friendly place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment