Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union

Nothing says diving right in to DC like attending the State of the Union address your second day on the job!

Rather than watching the SOTU from the comfort of my apartment, I trekked up the hill to the capitol in my suit and heels, press pass and trusty reporter's notebook in hand... and having absolutely no idea what awaited me. Literally all I knew was that I had to go to the capitol and the address began at 9 p.m.

As I approached that big white dome that is our capitol, I stuck to what I've found to work so far... put on a pretty smile and ask the guy with the big gun for help. Turns out I had to go through an underground tunnel, I felt so sneaky! I reached a security checkpoint with a bit of a line forming. But with a flash of my press pass, I got to skip right on by that line. "She's with the press, let her through," they said.

When I finally got to the press gallery, it was jam packed with reporters. It was nearly impossible to move, breathe or not sweat. I was definitely one of the younger people in the room. They showed us a short video about what to do in case of an emergency, then they began letting those with tickets onto the balcony.

Tickets. Crap.

I definitely didn't have one of those.

So I resigned myself to the fact that I'd probably be watching the SOTU from the gallery on a TV. I shoved my coat and bag in a cubby and sat down (near the balcony door, just in case) with my notebook, pen and iPhone. Just as the clock was about to hit 9, they announced there was standing room. I tucked my phone away in a cubby (no phones allowed!) and snagged myself a spot on the stairs, mentally preparing myself to stand over an hour in high heels.

I had never seen so many suits in my life. I was surprised to see how friendly people were being, even members from opposing parties. That's not to say everyone was friendly. I don't believe I saw Michele Bachmann smile once.

While to a lot of people I know a political speech sounds dull, but being there in person for the SOTU was exhilarating. People really got into it. I even hear whoops and verbal cheers at certain points, and a chill ran down my spine when the president walked in. The applause was overwhelming. Agree or disagree with his opinions, but the man can give a speech.

Definitely an unforgettable experience. Definitely worth standing for an hour in heels.

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you enough how jealous I am of you?? There's not a whole lot of people who have stood where you stood (heels or no heels). I'm proud of you for 1) not falling off the balcony, 2) not throwing anything off the balcony (though if it had landed on Boner, meh...) and 3) being there and doing such a great job! Keep up the good work--Keith has left a hole in journalism--I expect you to fill it! Love, YESM

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome are you?! What an AMAZING experience! I know you will do great things in DC! LIOB

    ReplyDelete