Monday, January 24, 2011

Learning a New Language

They say the best way to learn a new language is to go to a country where the people speak it, dive in head first and immerse yourself in the culture.

Well that's pretty much the goal with my current project.

For the next three and a half months I will be working as a reporter in Washington, D.C. I speak English. I've lived in America all my life, I speak English very well. I'm talking about the language of American politics, and on a national scale.

I am a multimedia journalism student at the University of Missouri. While the experiences I've been offered there have been incredibly valuable, the opportunities for complex political reporting in a small town such as Columbia, Mo., are not nearly as many as in our nation's capital.

While in Washington I will be reporting for Chicago's Daily Herald. I hope this opportunity, which I have gained through the University of Missouri's Washington Program, will allow me to learn how to report the complex activities of our government in a way that is both interesting and compelling for the American public.

This blog will chronicle my adventures as a girl with small-town reporting experience taking on one of the most important and influential cities in the world. 


Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment